Sunday 15 March 2015

How do you shut down your seat of reasoning against negative thoughts?


One day, I returned home to find my sister crying. "What happened? Did anyone hurt you?" I asked. She turned to me with her teary face that was soon covered by a sudden outburst of tears.

"I think daddy hates me", she said.

Hilarious!

I could not help laughing out loud at first.

"Why would you say something like that?" I asked.

She quickly ran through a number of instances that our dad had scolded her.

I pointed out how her mind had played on her and shared a few personal instances, when he had done

similar things. His corrections were just an act of love.

We are all familiar with these kind of feelings: the voice that speaks to our seat of reasoning.

Did God really say, “You must not eat from any tree in the garden?The negative voice of reasoning asked Eve. "The woman said to the snake, ‘We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, “You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.”" 

After listening to this voice, Eve expanded the thoughts to "touching" and from death to life.

When we listen to this voice, it misinterprets the word of God, makes sin appealing, presents God as a liar, works on our emotion and guides us to walk wrongly. 

‘You will not certainly die,’ the snake said to the woman. ‘For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.’ When the woman saw (perceived) that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. 

This voice is like a friend who brings another friend to a pity party. It suggests fear, anxiety and bitter thoughts. It makes us have a wrong perception of things. It tells you that you are not likeable, loveable or incapable. It is that voice that sparks mistrust and doubt in every form. It creeps into our mind. Would suggest to a student, "I don't think you can pass this examination". Would trigger hate in a wife, "Haven't you noticed that this man has changed?" I am not referring to choice, freewill or decision making seat of our life. I am talking about suggestive thoughts that speaks negatively to our mind. 

So, how do we shut down our seat of reasoning against negative thoughts.

First, the enemy of fear is Faith. 
The more you build faith, the less you feel fear. Faith comes by hearing and hearing of the word of God. So, constantly feed your mind with positive information, most importantly the word of God. Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. Break off from things, friend, people, locations that feed your mind with fear. If you cannot, cultivate the habit to speak positively so much that negativity will give way. We can't run away from a negative partner but we can be so assertive that our partner will do likewise.

Cultivate the habit of trust and expect the best.
This was very hard for me at a time because I like to be in control of matters, but I am getting to learn to trust God to be faithful. Just the way I trust my father or loved ones to love me unconditionally: to trust that whatever decision was made on behalf was for my good. This has improved my level of trusting people.

Avoid presumptions, think purposefully. 
There are many times that I've gone through bad times and wondered if God really answers our prayers or selectively and preferentially answers them.  But thinking purposefully have made me seen things differently. Whatever I have been through is part of the plan to get me to where God wants me to be. God created us for a purpose. He didn't create us as robots. Our lives are pre-destined. More importantly, he sets a purpose and creates his plan to see the purpose fulfilled.

Think objectively
Tackle the problem. Don't make a forest of inadequacy from a negative seed. Unpluck or prune it down. The key thing here is not to allow the thought to settle in the first place. Even when a dream does not come through, you don't have to link it to everything in your life or magnify it beyond what it is. If you feel inadequate on a job, worry about your performance or about other people's reaction to you. Take a few steps backward to what brought you to that point. If you think you don't have sufficient training. Work on that. If a thought springs up from someone's comment, weigh it against God's word. So, what are you going to do about it. Carry it around like a log on your shoulder or objectively walk through it. Ditch it my friend.

You should also read Crevices in my wall

Oluwamitomisin


COURTESY IMG: RITA SCHULTE

No comments:

Post a Comment