Thursday 11 April 2013

My Dimension; What's yours?


Hmmm Hmm...I sighed, wandering and lost in the intangible yet real realm of thoughts. What does she think she is doing? There stood right before my eyes a young lady who I saw to just have finished making a fool of herself and nothing but using her femininity to attract the crowd. “But she seemed to have been enjoying every bit of her performance”, I retorted.
I said to myself in a way that seemed much disgusting, “Why did I waste my precious time gracing this kind of occasion”? …but the invitation read something else or have I started losing touch with English language? “Grand Premiere” was on the headline? Anyway, I am here. Looking at the finesse and blitz that characterised the event, I imagined, “how can all these be organised with the crème de la crème, the best in their sphere of life,  just to ….” Wait a minute! WOMAN, even you too came for this one? How can these guys succeed in “deceiving” us to attend today, I kept boggling my mind, not even caring to follow any bit of the proceedings.
I was just patient enough to allow this show enter its concluding period. As a matter of fact, if not for the respect I accord the host, I would have left midway. If I knew the gathering was to celebrate “triviality”,  I would not have honoured it. I continued enjoying my regret trip when eventually the curtain fell and finally came to the end of the night. Ahhhh…thank God! I breathed a sigh of relief and fresh air. And just as I was exiting the arena, there walked up to me a belle. Her steps were filled with grace as she approached. She was warmly responding to courtesies and compliments flying from all corners. Who could this be? Confidence brewed from her inside, her smiles could give her out as a world-class model - her beauty impeccable, straight legs, clean skin, smart and gail.
It was as if it took ages but eventually she got close enough. She gave a compliment and handed to me a card. “What could this be?”, I said to myself. In fact, it took an extra discipline for me not to open the envelope immediately she handed it over to me. Then she gave a second smile. “It was a pleasure having you grace this occasion”. I tried helplessly not to notice her sleeky cheek which was decorated with well-grafted dimples. As she took a turn to proceed towards other guests, I hurriedly opened the card in my hands and it read: “I could not help but notice your indisposition to the performance. All the same, thank you for ‘enduring’ your time here as our celebrant birthed her dimension”.
The immediate sensation I felt was like thunderbolt sent through my spines. I stood motionless for a moment. “So, someone noticed how uncomfortable I was?” Anyway, there is no problem with that; at least I am entitled to my reactions. I only could make a bold face to myself. Deep inside me the word kept ringing and haunting me…she birthed her dimension. This time I have been hit below the belt, I do not like anyone getting me in my convenient self. I don’t like anyone trespassing into this aspect of my life. I have been a good critic but found all the reasons in the world not to go beyond what I have been used to. I am just OK with how little I am doing. As I was going through this tug of war inside me, I eventually settled to ask myself  “what do I have to offer that I am adding my dimension to”. But I can’t sing like TY Bello, I can’t run like Usain Bolt, I can’t preach like Tunde Bakare, I can’t… Even the writing I think I was trying to do at a time, I am just bland, not poetic enough. I remembered a piece I did my best to write and the comment from my assessor was “This is only good as a newspaper column and not poetic enough for our medium”. So I stopped writing and thought that was not for me. I gave all the reasons for not going beyond myself, just shying away from discovering myself until I came across WOMAN. I saw that life was leaking out of me in drops.
This coupled with the challenge by the lady at the previous event connected to the latency that I had wallowed in and got me thinking and eventually writing. What am I doing? Have I almost finished an article? So I can write? Can it be as simple as this? Ehn Ehn…meaning I can also give something to my world? Wait a minute, it is as if life is returning to me again! I can see inspiration coming. I might not read like of the very stylistic writers but at least, this is my dimension. Like the young lady at the premiere I thought was making a fool of herself, it is as if I have started doing same oooo. I am beginning to enjoy myself and feel whole again.
“But what I love doing is not spectacular enough”, you might say to yourself. Even if nobody else will understands you, go ahead and start something about it! Do not rub the world of the opportunity of seeing your dimension added to that hobby or vocation. In the game of football for example, no two players play the same. Lionel Messi cannot be compared to Christiano Ronaldo. Messi adds to football what seems like just kidding yet wreaking havoc on his opponents. The footwork of C. Ronaldo cannot be compared to that of Robinho or Ronaldinho. There is something characteristic about each of them and that is what endears some to them even to the point of fanaticism and idolising them. It is only in the sciences that the same materials and methods always give the same result. That is not always the case in real life situations. For example, with the same ingredients and recipe, the resulting food by different cooks can never taste the same.
Each of us have diverse personalities, are products of various experiences and hence different outlooks to life. An approach that will achieve a tremendous result with one might be thoroughly inefficient with another. That exception, those people the present approach has not reached, may be the one your dimension is meant for. There are people who have not found satisfaction in life because their expectation of service delivery has not been met. It is definitely not for everyone and that may be the reason some respond to you unfavourably. The response of rejection must not deter you from reaching beyond yourself and birthing your dimension. As a matter of fact, if you have not suffered the pangs of rejection, you will not adequately appreciate and celebrate the joy of acceptance. Don’t abandon your dreams because someone else has something similar or they seem better than you. No single person has the exact blend of your background, experience, exposure, personality, convictions and abilities. All these are the things you bring to bear on your pursuits in life and they make you unique.
There are people that are only waiting for someone who can cook, sew, speak, write, organise, serve and even play in a new, creative and inspiring manner. Doing things your unique way will add colour to life. If everyone does it the same way, what a boring world we would live in. Life should not just continue like what we already are used to. The truth is no one can do what you are called to do the same way as you. If you don’t arise and birth your dimension, others that are meant to find fulfilment and discover themselves as a result of your expression would not and you can imagine what world we would have. Solutions to problems would be present but would not be available for the people to access and be free. If Oluwamitomisin et al. did not birth the WOMAN dimension; you would not be reading this from me now because I will still be playing small to no one’s advantage.
This platform has given me an opportunity to revive what was dying in me and start living again. I am writing to you, not as any other does but as ME…Go ahead and do pursue that dream. If you dreamt it, it is worth pursuing. Give your best to it…sing, work, love, care and contribute. Do it like none other will and you will stand in a class of your own. You are a blessing to us; let us enjoy your dimension while you are here. Can you rise and be the answer to someone’s questions….Start living…Birth your dimension.
Am I good enough? You are entitled to your opinion….Welcome to my dimension.

HTROFWOHS!

No comments:

Post a Comment